Performance vision relates to the way your eyes are or aren’t geared for optimum sports performance. Sport often requires high levels of concentration and also high levels of coordination. Both of these traits are dependent on your vision.
What is Performance Vision?
Performance vision optometry
involves the behaviour of the eyes in relation to:
- Visual Acuity − Can you see moving objects clearly? As the ball comes closer to you, can you catch it easily due to being able to perceive its whereabouts clearly?
- Eye Tracking − Can you keep your eye on the ball and track where it is in space? Can you concentrate hard enough to return a serve?
- Eye Focusing − In high-speed sports games, you may need to change your focus from one object to another quite quickly. Can you focus on the new object easily?
- Peripheral Awareness − If you can see out of the corners of your eyes, you’ll be able to quickly spot opponents or an available team member to pass the ball to.
- Depth Perception − This visual skill helps your coordination, as it allows you to judge the distance and speed of objects in relation to yourself.
- Eye-Hand or Eye-Body Coordination − The way in which your eyes perceive objects will have a direct effect on how they tell your body and hands to move in response to them.
How Can We Help Improve Your Sports Performance Vision?
We can help athletes improve sports results with individualised performance vision testing, prescriptions and holistic optometry therapies. When you invest in your vision performance, you can be sure that your sports performance will also flourish.
Our behavioural optometrist in Melbourne conducts thorough performance eye tests in which he examines your eyes in all of the above areas. Sometimes sports outcomes are not about pure athleticism, but also about how your whole body processes and reacts to visual information.
By taking advantage of scientific breakthroughs in the knowledge of brain neuroplasticity, we can improve performance patterns of the eye, visual processing and bodily reactions. In turn, your physical performance in your chosen sport may exceed your previous abilities. Read More
What Benefits Can You Expect from Sport Vision Training?
Whether or not your eyesight needs significant treatment at all, you’ll always gain something from coming in for performance vision training in Melbourne! Here are some of the benefits you can expect from sports vision training for better performance:
- You’ll know where you stand. Regular check-ups are important for your health in most areas, from general to dental. Your vision is no different. With regular observation from an eye doctor, athletes can get an accurate idea of how their vision will progress in the near future and whether any issues may arise.
- You’ll have access to preventative treatment. If your vision has deteriorated somewhat, you’ll be able to detect it early, which greatly increases your chances of stopping any further deterioration and even restoring your vision somewhat. Of course, plenty of minor deterioration is not immediately obvious, so by the time one notices, it could be much more advanced! Our optometry therapies and tests can help avoid that.
- We can help you experience less eye fatigue. While fatigue is more commonly experienced due to device screens and continued exposure to blue light, athletes can also experience it after plenty of high-speed and high-intensity activity. Preventing eye fatigue is complicated, but you can always minimize its effects through regular therapy and care!
- Sports vision training can maximize comfort for you if glasses or contacts are required. If you’ve ever used contacts before, you’ll know that they’re not always very quick to put on or easy to bear; some days are especially teary! We can work with athletes to prevent those troubles by focusing on eyewear in highly active and demanding settings. In other words, we make sure that any required eyewear holds up at the most crucial times.
- Since performance vision optometry is all about optimising your eyesight, we can keep you informed on how to take your optic health into your own hands. Do you have any habits that are negatively impacting your eyesight? Are they any occupational hazards that might be affecting your eyes? We can advise you on that and more.
Get an Advantage Over the Competition with Improved Performance Vision
At Microprism Optics, we’re doing things in optometry that your regular optometrist just doesn’t know about. We’re using the newest technologies and scientific theories to bring about vision improvements that aren’t just good for your eyes. We take a holistic approach to vision that can help you improve the way your body interprets visual data, which can have great flow-on effects for your sports performance. To book one of our performance vision eye checks, call us today on (03) 9606 0330. Read Less